LP101. Your First Hat
Finally! With some of the theory out of the way, the time has come at last to create your first work of art. As any loomatic knows, no better way to apply what you have learned than to make your very own hat!
It doesn't matter if you start with a baby hat (Knifty Knitter blue loom) or an oversized adult hat (use the the yellow one), this project is a must. It is a great project to start with, as you will learn your way around the loom and create something pretty and useful at the same time.
Also, with this project you will be able to gloat at your fellow needle knitters - it is dead simple for you and rather hard for them to knit in the round!
So go ahead, treat yourself to some soft, bulky, pretty yarn, and follow the instructions below.
- Any bulky to super bulky yarn
- Knifty Knitter round loom (choose your own size)
- Knitting tool/pick
- Yarn needle
- Place a slip knot over the first peg.
- Cast on and e-wrap round.
- Optional: you can change colors every 4 rows to create a striped look.
- Optional: after about 12 rows (or double the desired length of the brim), reach inside the loom and place each first loop over a peg, thus creating a brim. If you skip this step, your hat will still look lovely with a curled edge.
- Continue knitting in the round until your hat has the desired height (usually between 25cm (10") and 30cm (12") for an adult hat).
- Bind off using the gathered method.
Congratulations! You just finished your first masterpiece!
I am going to leave you for a few days so please use this opportunity to create lots and lots of hats... but stay tuned for more tutorials soon :)